Explore beyond the Great Southern
Welcome to Northcliffe, Pemberton & Manjimup - the Southern Forests
Northcliffe is surrounded by magnificent national parks and only 20 minutes from the coast - along the only sealed road access in the D'Entrecasteaux National Park. Pemberton lies nestled in a valley surrounded by the spectacular karri forests of the Gloucester National Park, with lush green pastures and rolling vineyards. Manjimup is the proud birthplace of the delicious Pink Lady apple and is the largest mainland producer of black truffles.
What to do
Explore the understory
Set amongst the karri, marri and jarrah forests of Northcliffe is the Southern Forests Sculpture Walk. This 1.2km walk circuit is the first purpose built walk trail in Australia to permanently feature stunning artworks such as sculpture, music and writing.
Take a discovery tour
Experience the largest inland dune system in the Southern Hemisphere, drive on an endless beach, visit wild oceans & touch towering Karri trees.
Climb a tree
Scale one or all three of the climbing trees in the Southern Forests. The Gloucester, Diamond and Dave Evans Bicentennial trees offer spectacular views over the forests with heights up to a dizzying 68m.
Hunt for a truffle
The Wine & Truffle Co. is the largest producer of superior Perigord Truffles in the southern hemisphere. Visit their farm and see the local produce, go on a truffle hunt, explore a vineyard and dine in the truffle cafe.
Useful to know
- The Gloucester Tree in Pemberton is Western Australia's most famous karri tree, towering above the forests.
- The road to Windy Harbour (past Northcliffe) takes you past Mt Chudalup, a granite monolith which rises above the surrounding karri forest and coastal heath land.
- 86% of the Manjimup Shire is state forest or conservation reserve.
How to get there
- Northcliffe is 160km west of Denmark via the South Coast Highway (2 hours 4 mins).
- Pemberton is 185km west of Denmark via the South Coast Highway (2 hours 13 mins).
- Manjimup is 184km west of Denmark via the South Coast Highway (2 hours 12 mins).